Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Caminho do Este de Portugal (Tavira - Santiago de Compostela)

Tavira-Baesuris-Alcoutim-Mértola-Serpa-Moura-Monsaraz-Estremoz-Fronteira-Crato-Nisa-Castelo Branco-Castelo Rodrigo-Mirandela-Chaves-Verín-Ourense-Cea-Estación de Lalin-Puente Ulla-Santiago de Compostela.

This Caminho is for pilgrims on foot,by bicycle,on horseback,by motorcycle or by car.

Bom Caminho!

Monday, December 15, 2014

2019 - First part Stage 12, Estremoz by Sousel to Fronteira, about 31 km.

***2019 - 12th Stage 1st part, Estremoz - Sta. Vitória - Sousel - Fronteira, about 29,3 to 31 km.*** *Helli Gruppe, Baden Deutschland, Erste Woche April, Alentejo und Beira Region, 7 Tage/ 7 Etappen, Internet-Führung, 1 Tag im voraus.* -Leaving Estremoz direction Sta. Vitória along N-245, further to Sousel about 8 km, orienting on N-245, and about 13 km more to end the Stage in Fronteira, after about 29,3 to 31 km. -Entering Sousel on the right side Posto de Turismo in Sousel, tel. 00351 268 558 027 or 00351 268 551 210. / *Espaco-Internet Email: espaco.internet@cm-sousel.pt / *Pousada de Sousel Sao Miguel tel. 00351 268 550 050 / *Albergaria A Galinhola Sousel, 00351 268 554 644, Rua Fonte do Concelho - Sousel, / *Rest. A Cacarola, Sousel - Avenida 25 de Abril, tel. 00351 268 554 777. / -Leaving Estremoz from high part Bairro de Santiago, Castelo downhill direction Sousel, roundabout straight on N 245 by Santa Vítoria do Ameixal(10km,Monument), about 7 km before Sousel attention dangerous bends, further to Sousel(total of 8km), and from Sousel another 13kms by N245 to Fronteira. -Places to visit in Fronteira: -Igreja Matriz, -Ponte Romano, -Observatório Astronómico, -Terreiro da Batalha dos Atoleiros-Museu. *Turismo Fronteira 00351 245 600 070, Email:posto.turismo@cm-fronteira.pt / Museum Heróis Atoleiros? *Bombeiros Fronteira 00351 245 604 500 / *GNR Posto Fronteira 00351 245 604 135 / *Espaco Internet - Biblioteca Municipal 00351 245 600 076 / *Residencial A Estalagem Fronteira 00351 245 604 480 - Largo do Senado, N° 1, / *Pensao Central Fronteira 00351 245 604 212 - Rua da Lagoa, / *Rest. Fonte Nova Fronteira - 00351 245 604 256 - *Estrada Nacional 245 / Piscinas Bar Fronteira - Snacks - near Museum Heróis Atoleiros! -------------------------------------------------------------- *2014 - Sousel, stage 12, Estremoz - Fronteira. Sousel, in the transitional area between Central and Northern Alentejo, is remarkable for the diversity of its landscape and for its rich religious, historic and cultural heritage. As most of the region is covered by either olive groves or hunting grounds, the roots of Sousel are primordially connected to olive oil and hunting and, in return, there resources are two of its main tourist attractions. But Sousel has more to offer. Around the old towns and villages that flourished under the influence of the Military Order of Avis and once belonged to the House of Braganza, you´ll come across an important religious heritage, with rich interiors and the traditional yellow stripes around the buildings. Sousel´s local cuisine, included in the Alentejo wines and flavours route, using ingredients such as olive oil, smoked sausages, game, cheeses and wine, is also unmissable. With enduring religious and bullfighting traditions (one of the country´s oldest bullrings is in Sousel) and strong bonds with the land, you simply must visit this municipality. Tourist Office Sousel, 00351 268 550 100. -------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------- *2008/2009/2010// - leaving Estremoz direction Sta. Vitória do Ameixial(Monument left side N-245) 10 km, continue by N-245 direction Sousel(more 8 km.), and 11 km more further direction Fronteira along N-245, about 29,3 km to end 12th Stage.*

3 comments:

  1. Die Geschichte von Sousel ist eng mit dem Heiligen Nuno Álvares Perreira verbunden. Ihm wird auch, im Zusammenhang mit der berühmten Schlacht von Atoleiros, die am 6. April 1384 zwischen Sousel und Fronteira stattfand, die Gründung des Ortes zugeschrieben.
    Am Ortseingang lenken die Kirche des Santo António-Klosters und das historische Herrenhaus Bastos Ribeiro auf dem ehemaligen Klostergelände die Blicke auf sich.
    Das gegenüberliegende Kulturzentrum beherbergt eine Sammlung von 1486 Christusdarstellungen.
    In den malerischen Gassen des historischen Stadtkerns, wo einst die heute verschwundene Burg stand, entdeckt man die Pfarrkirche, das Rathaus und den Pranger. Durch die Rua de Sao Sebastiao gelangt man zu dem Herrenhaus Calca e Pina und gleich danach zu der dem Hl. Sebastian geweihten Kapelle.
    Unter den Häusern der Rua Direita, die zurück ins Zentrum führt, fällt ein Haus mit gotischem Portal ins Auge.
    Ganz in der Nähe befinden sich die Kirche Nossa Senhora da Orada und einige Geschäfte, die regionale Erzeugnisse anbieten.
    Am höchsten Punkt des Sao Miguel-Gebirges kann man neben dem herrlichen Panorama auch die Kapelle Nossa Senhora do Carmo und eine der ältesten Stierkampfarenen von Portugal bewundern.
    Fremdenverkehrsamt Sousel, Largo do Convento, 00351 268 550 100. Rest. O Kurika, 00351 268 554 411; Rest. O Clássico, 00351 268 552 042.
    Bom Caminho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visite à Sousel obligatoire.
    Église Matrice de Sousel. L'église matrice de Sousel, consacrée à Nossa Senhora de Graca, a été fondée au XVIe sur l'aire du défunt château.
    De style Renaissance et décoration baroque du XVIIIe, ses retables en bois dorée à la feuille (talha dourada Portuguesa) et en marbre, ainsi que ses paintures et azulejos Renaissance, sont remarquables.
    Fêtes en l'honneur de Nossa Senhora da Graca.
    Le dernier fin de semaine de juillet, avec célébration d'une messe et procession, mais aussi beaucoup de musique et bals populaires!
    PÂQUES. Hormis le programme religieux, qui comprend un cortège à cheval, il y a foire gastronomique, musique et corrida. Les célébrations se terminent le lundi avec la procession à Nossa Senhora do Carmo qui parcourt les rues de la ville jusqu´au sommet de la Serra de Sao Miguel et se termine par une grande fête populaire.
    Semaine Gastronomique de L´AGNEAU.
    Au temps de Pâques, Sousel recoit une Semaine Gastronomique de l´agneau très appréciée et fréquentée.
    ARTISANAT. L´osier, le cuir et le liège, les borderies, la dentelle et la painture traditionelle sont utilisés dans la production de pièces uniques et faites á la main.
    GASTRONOMIE. Les recettes Alentéjanes les plus typiques et les produits régionaux d´excellence - herbes et plantes aromatiques, soupes et "migas", le pain, les entremets sucrés ou les viandes - sont à l´honneur à Sousel, connue pour l´excellence de ses huiles d´olive (AOC), de ses boudins (charcuterie de Portalegre,IGP), de ses vins, mais aussi de ses fromages et de son miel,
    Tourisme Sousel, Largo do Convento, 00351 268 550 100, Casa de Hóspedes "O Pinguinhas" Sousel, 00351 963 246 841, Residencial "Sorriso" Sousel, 00351 961 532 682.
    Iter Stellarum, Bom Caminho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baesuris Historical CuttingsJanuary 22, 2015 at 2:41 PM

    Sousel.
    The legend tells that Sousel was founded by the Constable and local hero - Nuno Alvares Pereira - before the Battle of Atoleiros (1384) which took place in an area between the towns of Sousel and Fronteira during the Wars of Independance.
    The fact is that the town first appaered in Estremoz´s charter in 1285.
    What is definite is that the Constable was heading directly from Estremoz to Fronteira to help supporters of the Master of Avis and on finding the town surrounded by Castilians decided to stop off in Sousel to prepare himself for battle.
    It was in Sousel that he prayed for success (on the site of the Igreja de Nossa Senhora de Orada) and afterwards appaered before the populace with the simple but highly rousing announcement "Vencerei" (I will win) - precisely the statement that you´d want to hear if you were a foot soldier about to take on the best of Castile´s cavalry.
    At the Batle of Atoleiros (which means "marshes" or "swamps"), the Constable came across a superior Castilian force commanded by his turncoat brother Pedro.
    He defeated the army without any losses after the huge Castilian cavalry charged a square formation of Portuguese on foot who, with their spears and slings, sent them sprawling in confusion.
    From 1527 the town belonged to the Dukes of Braganca.
    In the middle of town, which would have been fortified, is the Igreja Matriz (late 16th century), the two altars of Santíssimo and S. Lázaro are of black and white marble.
    On the largo da Matriz is also the Misericórdia de Nossa Senhora da Orada which is on the Cano road on the left, just after the turn off to the pousada.
    The chapel is 15th century with 16th century azulejos (tiles) one panel of which depicts the flight from Egypt.
    This part of town is still apparently known as Vencerei. There are two magnificent family homes in the town. On the left as you come in from Estremoz is the Solar Família de Teles de Matos and further along the same road after the petrol station on the right is the Solar Família de Calca e Pina. These are not open to the public.
    If you go up to the pousada, continue along this road to its conclusion and right at the top of the hill you will find the Igreja de S. Miguel and what is reputedly the oldest Praca de Touros (bullring) in Portugal.
    In fact the first confirmation of the bullring´s existence was in 1860 but the local population insisted that it had been there since 1725. They justified this by pointing out that the original ticket office for the bullring was in the church next door and that the church dates from early 18th century.
    The bullring is now a picadeira - a horse training school.
    The horses are stabled underneath the stands and you may be lucky to see one of these superb beasts being trained.
    Bom Caminho.

    ReplyDelete